Powered by Blogger.

Christmas weekend in Copenhagen


So last weekend I was lucky enough to visit Denmarks capital - Copenhagen! It was a really lovely break away and 3 days was actually just about the right amount of time to spend there, even though I wanted to stay longer!! I've never been to Denmark before and I have to say it's very friendly, and isn't hard to find an English speaker - everyone we spoke to could speak English including taxi drivers which made life easy. 

The first visit was the famous picturesque coloured buildings, situated on Nyhavn's harbour. This had many restaurants and bars (mainly pub style) which were all very traditional and European looking. Just behind of me taking this picture (above) were Nyhavn's Christmas markets which were deceivingly big! A little different from English markets as they looked very traditional and sold things that aren't avaiable at home such as their traditional Danish Glogg, which is basically mulled wine - but very sweet! They had a great chilled out atmosphere which made you feel welcome, along with everyone being wrapped up (it was so windy all weekend) it made you feel very festive!



Tivoli Gardens - the main attraction we came for as it was a 'must visit' place on many reviews and websites on European markets. It was amazing! There were rides and attractions, shops and stalls, traditional Danish food, as well as beautiful light displays at night time. This was also deceivingly big, I didn't expect as much as there was - you even get a map! It was 99DKK entry (approximately £10) which is really good value considering the scale of it. You can pay more for ride entry or just pay as you go.






By night time the gardens become very magical and a little bit romantic. Everything is beautifully lit up and a little light and music display can be found in the fountains on the river. I was quite surprised at how nice it looked - as I couldn't find many decent pictures online before I went. So I did my best to take some pretty pictures capturing the atmoshphere. A highly recommended Christmas visit for any Christmas enthusiasts!



No comments