Powered by Blogger.

Styling your home on a budget


Happy 2020 readers! This is my first home related post on my blog so this is quite a new one for me. If you follow me over on Instagram (find me here) you’ll know that I recently switched up my feed to be less beauty focused and more home & lifestyle related. I’m really loving sharing photos of my house and exploring a different style of photography than what I’m used to. Don’t get me wrong I still love my beauty posts, but I really wanted more of ‘me’ to show through, and share what my actual surroundings looked like rather than just the staged white & bright product shots.
Since introducing more interior and homeware into my feed, I feel like I’ve got a really good response from my followers. I love having a nosey at other people’s decor for ideas and inspiration and by me sharing mine that’s hopefully what I want to do for other people too.

Mirror - hm home

As with beauty, I’m all about that bargain life when it comes to styling my home. I guess they’re kind of similar in that way, that the key is in the styling, and not necessarily the product itself. You can 100% achieve that luxurious look for less with the right homeware and styling. For me I wanted to go for neutrals in my house but not the obvious greys, so I opted for taupe and mink shades instead. I feel like these colours look much more sophisticated, and by going for neutral colours it really creates a minimalistic yet contemporary look that’s easy to style. I feel like the colour scheme you go for really matters if you’re after a more expensive or luxurious look - deep navy blues and emarald greens are also really great at making a room look more sophisticated.

 Side unit - Ikea
Plant pot - hm home

 Candle - hm home
Bell jar - Ikea

The next part is all about the styling - it’s all in the details! I opted for minimalist black furniture, something with space and shelves that I could style, I also have the matching tv unit which is the same but not quite as tall. I love them as the black really stands out against the walls, and it looks a bit more contemporary than white furniture in my opinion. I have the shelves filled with bits and bobs - books, vases, plants, but mainly; candles. My favourite things! 

Wall art - Desenio

Candles are a really great way to spruce up your house and by styling them on a tray or inside a bell jar, this makes them look 10 times more presentable. I also love dotting plants and flowers around the house as they aren’t too expensive to buy, but bring a stylish edge to your decor. You may have also noticed the slight palm tree theme too - I couldn’t resist these prints for a more relaxed vibe. Gallery-style walls are a great way to add character to an empty space too!

Vase - Homesense

For larger furniture, and especially as a first time buyer or someone tight on money, you should definitely check out ebay for some bargains. I managed to bag my (Next) walnut dining table & 4 faux leather chairs for just £120 and in really good condition too. I was really lucky in finding those, they go with the decor so well, and I love styling it with a gold dish in the center filled with candles. Another option is to up-cycle your old furniture, it’s amazing how much a fresh colour can transform an old piece, or even just refreshing the handles.

Footstool - Cult Furniture

Gold tray - Ikea

Overall, the trick to creating a ‘luxurious look for less’ is to pick a scheme and to stick to it - so for me it’s minimalistic, black/dark furniture and gold details. If you stick to it without adding random bits into your decor, it’ll create a more ‘put together’ look - even if you didn’t really put much effort (or money) into it. And remember,  you don’t have to spend a fortune to make your home look beautiful!





Remember you can keep up to date with my posts here:

Bloglovin | Instagram  | Twitter | Pinterest



2 comments

  1. Ahhh love this post!! It's so easy to think you need a lot of £££ to make your house look gorgeous but actually these are such great ways to do it on a budget

    www.petiteelliee.com

    Ellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love interior design so I'm super excited to see more posts from you!

    ReplyDelete